Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Woodward’s Fernandes problem, Maguire bid, Coutinho decision | Football | Sport
Man Utd transfer news LIVE updates – Sunday, July 14
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward disagree over Bruno Fernandes
- A new bid has been made for Leicester ace Harry Maguire
- Philippe Coutinho will snub Manchester United because of his history with Liverpool
- Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer in the top flight this summer
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gives transfer update
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he will be targeting players with the ‘X factor’ in the summer transfer window.
Solskjaer has brought in two new faces so far with the £50million capture of Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace and the £20m signing of Daniel James from Swansea.
He is thought to be targeting young British talent but insists nationality plays no part in the types of characters he wants to bring in.
Instead, the Norwegian claims he wants players who can make an immediate impact as he looks to improve a squad that struggled badly at times last season.
“It doesn’t matter if they are English, Norwegian, French, Brazilian,” he said. “You just want good players and good people.
“Quality and speed, of course, is a big thing in football nowadays. The more x-factors you have in a team, the better you are.”
Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has a big job on his hands
What Harry Maguire thinks of Man Utd switch
Harry Maguire is believed to be happy at the prospect of joining the club despite the side not playing in the Champions League next season.
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants Harry Maguire to join his side this summer as the Norwegian embarks on an overhaul on his squad who finished sixth in the Premier League last season.
Solskjaer has identified the need to improve United’s defence and wants add a world-class defender to his new-look squad.
Last season United conceded 54 goals in the league, which was their highest total in 40 years.
And despite only being able to offer Europa League football next season, according to the Daily Mail, Maguire is understood to still be happy at the prospect of joining United despite the club failing to qualify for the Champions League.
Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Bruno Fernandes, Harry Maguire and Philippe Coutinho latest
Paul Pogba on his Man Utd future
Paul Pogba appeared to be in a spiky mood as he delivered a blunt response when he was asked about his Manchester United future.
The unsettled midfielder is currently in Australia with the rest of the squad on their pre-season tour but continues to be linked with a move to Real Madrid.
United are standing firm and demanding £180million for their record signing and Real are yet to meet their demands.
And the player himself was in no mood to discuss his future when quizzed by reporters following United’s 2-0 win over Perth Glory as they got their preparations for the 2019-20 campaign underway.
“There is no need,” the 26-year-old said. “No need to talk.”
Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Paul Pogba could leave the club this summer
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward disagree over Bruno Fernandes
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is reportedly at loggerheads with Ed Woodward over the club’s stance on signing Bruno Fernandes.
Red Devils manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is struggling to convince chief executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and the rest of the board to increase their offer for Fernandes, according to reports in Portugal.
The Norwegian is looking to overhaul his squad this summer after United missed out on Champions League football when they finished sixth in the Premier League last season.
Fernandes scored 32 goals in 53 games last season for Sporting CP and as a result of several big clubs across Europe being interested in their player, the club are reportedly holding out for £65m for the midfielder.
And according to Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha, Solskjaer is struggling to convince the United board they should pay more than £50m for a player who has never played in the Champions League.
Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Philippe Coutinho will snub the Red Devils
Harry Maguire bid made
Manchester United are said to have submitted a newly improved offer to Leicester for Harry Maguire.
According to football consultant and former journalist Ian McGarry, Manchester United have now upped their offer for Maguire.
“We’re going to start with some news as we always like to and that is a renewed offer from Manchester United to Leicester City for Harry Maguire,” he said on the Transfer Window Podcast with Duncan Castles.
“It still doesn’t quite match Leicester City’s expectations.
“That’s because the upfront payment is £60million with an extra £20m in add-ons, which takes it up to Leicester’s expected valuation at £80m.
“It doesn’t take it to the £80m upfront which we understand that Leicester are hoping for on the basis of reinvesting that money in this particular transfer window.”
Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to overhaul his squad
Philippe Coutinho snub
Philippe Coutinho is ready to deal Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a massive blow by rejecting the chance of a move to Old Trafford.
Barcelona need to offload several players so they can fund a return to the Camp Nou for Neymar and one of the players they are willing to lose is Coutinho, 27.
Coutinho’s £142million move to Barca 18 months ago has turned into a nightmare because he has struggled to find his best form.
Manchester United have had a long-standing interest in signing him while European champions Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain are also watching developments with interest.
But Coutinho isn’t interested in joining United because he still feels loyalty to his former employers Liverpool.