Newcastle confirm Steve Bruce replaces Rafael Benitez as new boss | Football | Sport
The 58-year-old will look to build on the work left behind by Rafa Benitez who failed to agree a new deal with the club last month.
The Spaniard has since moved to the Chinese Super League to become the new boss of Dalian Yifang.
Bruce, meanwhile, was raised in Wallsend as a Newcastle supporter, which is believed to have been a key factor behind the club’s decision to give him the job.
Not only that, but the former Manchester United defender has shown a willingness to work under the current structure at Newcastle.
He will operate in correspondence with Mike Ashley and managing director Lee Charnley on limited resources.
Upon his appointment, Bruce said: “I’m delighted and incredibly proud to be appointed as head coach of Newcastle United.
“This is my boyhood club and it was my dad’s club, so this is a very special moment for me and my family.
“There is a huge challenge ahead of us, but it’s one that my staff and I are ready for. We’ll roll our sleeves up and we’ll be giving it everything from the off to ensure supporters have a successful team that they can be proud of.”
He will now fly out to China to join up with his new squad as they continue preparations for the new Premier League season.
Bruce resigned from Sheffield Wednesday last week which saw the Championship club demand a compensation fee of £4million.
Charnley hopes that the new head coach’s connection to the club can translate into results.
He said: “Steve has a deep affection for Newcastle United and we are very pleased that a coach with his vast experience and connections to the club and city has joined us.
“Steve knows what this club means to supporters and to the region and he will put his heart and soul into leading our talented group of players with the full support of our staff.
“The hard work for Steve and his team starts immediately and we will be fully prepared for the challenge of a new Premier League season.
“I would place on record my thanks to Ben Dawson, Neil Redfearn and our medical and support staff for the way in which they have worked together to oversee the start of our pre-season preparations.”
One of Bruce’s first decisions as new boss will be whether to approve the signing of Joelinton. The Daily Telepraph claim the club have a £36m deal in place to sign the Hoffenheim forward.