Celtic boss Neil Lennon makes Scott Sinclair decision after exit rumours | Football | Sport
Scott Sinclair’s spell at Celtic took a nosedive in the summer despite the club opting to extend his contract by another season, but Neil Lennon is ready to hand him a return.
The former England youth prospect has played just 56 minutes of first-team action so far as Lennon adapts his team after a busy summer.
Sinclair recently posted a video of himself training hard in his desire to become a key member of the Hoops squad once more – and it seems Lennon has noticed.
Footballer Insider have claimed that the Northern Irish boss is keen for the winger to get back into the side at Celtic Park, and he is willing to take part in talks to plan the future before the return of Premiership football.
Lennon was made to justify his decision to axe Sinclair from his squad to face AIK in August, and mentioned his talented squad as part of the reason.
He said: “It’s understandable if Sinclair feels put out.
“We don’t want to treat him badly because he’s a senior pro.
“It’s just that he’s finding it difficult right now to get into the squad. I can’t pick six wingers.
“It’s been tough for Scott. We have a lot of options on the wings.
“We look a threat. We have good pace in the team, something which Mikey [Michael Johnston] brings to us.
“Our wide men have been playing so well and we’ve been scoring goals.”
Sinclair, 30, has scored 60 goals in 153 appearances for the club since joining from Aston Villa in 2016.
The forward was named the Celtic’s Player of the Year after scoring 25 goals in all competitions in his debut season, after which he praised his connection with the fans.
He said: “This is the best time and the happiest time in my career right now.
“To have the connection with the fans and all of them who voted for me, it just means so much to me.”
Next up for Celtic is the trip to Hamilton on Saturday, with Lennon ready to make a big decision regarding his former star.