Arsenal in talks with Fenerbahce over January deal for Mesut Ozil | Football | Sport
Arsenal boss Unai Emery has decided that Mesut Ozil is no longer required at the club, with Gunners chiefs now looking to free up their wage budget by offloading the former Germany international.
The 30-year-old has made just one Premier League start so far this season as Arsenal slipped to a draw against Watford in September.
The World Cup winner is now unlikely to add to his 43 goals and 74 assists that he has managed since a 2013 move from Real Madrid.
Turkish outlet Takvim have reported that talks have now begun between the Gunners and Super Lig side Fenerbahce, who current have a squad that includes former Premier League players Victor Moses, Mauricio Isla and Mathias Jorgensen.
The former Werder Bremen playmaker has now been omitted from three match day squads in a row by Emery, and Ray Parlour believes that there is now no way back.
He told talkSPORT: “I have been really impressed by the youngsters coming through, from Arsenal’s point of view.
“Ozil’s not even in the squad now. I think that’s probably the end of his career at Arsenal.
“You have got youngsters that deserve an opportunity probably more than him at the moment.
“[Bukayo] Saka has come in on the left-hand side, you have got [Gabriel] Martinelli, from Arsenal’s point of view going forward he’s been excellent. [Dani] Ceballos played at the weekend.
“They have got lots of options now.”
When asked about the continued absence of the club’s former star player, Emery pointed toward his young options in midfield.
He said: I am thinking every time to decide the best players for each match and the best players in the squad to play and to help us.
“When I decided he shouldn’t be in the squad it’s because I think other players deserved it more.”
Next up for Arsenal is a trip to play Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on October 21, with Ozil likely to be left unselected.